thumbnail

Sleepy Hollow: A Cemetery Based on a Philosophy

Posted on February 23rd, 2017
Posted by Martin Oaks under Community, Resources
Leave a comment

Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, located in Concord, Massachusetts is not a typical memorial garden. Designed in 1855 by the noted architectural firm Cleveland and Copeland of Boston, the cemetery reflected the transcendental philosophy which was sweeping the Eastern United States at that time. Horace Cleveland and Robert Copeland were greatly influenced by this philosophy, specifically the […]

Continue Reading
abraham lincoln items in his pocket

Abraham Lincoln, RIP

Posted on February 13th, 2017
Posted by Martin Oaks under Community, Resources
Leave a comment

With Abraham Lincoln’s birthday being this week, there has been a lot in the news about both his life and his accomplishments. As a native of Illinois, I grew up exposed to Lincoln material – but it seems every year I learn something new. For example, I only recently discovered that there is an exhibition […]

Continue Reading
thumbnail

A Super Bowl Invitation from Pete Rozelle

Posted on February 2nd, 2017
Posted by Martin Oaks under Community
Leave a comment

In the late fall of 1974, while I was living in Cincinnati, Ohio covering major league baseball, a letter on National Football League stationary arrived. Even though it was a form letter, it was personally signed by the NFL commissioner, Pete Rozelle – he was inviting me to cover the 1975 Super Bowl in New […]

Continue Reading
thumbnail

Alfred Hitchcock’s Cameo Appearances in His Own Films

Posted on January 25th, 2017
Leave a comment

As every Alfred Hitchcock fan knows, the master of suspense did cameo appearances in many of his films. In fact, he was in 39 of his more than 50 productions. There are a variety of stories about how this playful phenomenon developed – but his daughter, Pat Hitchcock, tells the most probable version. She says […]

Continue Reading
thumbnail

All Writers Must Be Marketers

Posted on January 16th, 2017
Leave a comment

John Grisham has been steadily producing best sellers since he published “The Firm” in 1991. The seven million copies plus a film adaptation (starring Tom Cruz) are standard operating procedures for Grisham: no fewer than 8 of his other best sellers have also been translated to the silver screen. Is there a secret behind this […]

Continue Reading