Mank on Netflix explores the mysteries of Citizen Kane

Posted on January 28th, 2021
Posted by Martin Oaks under Community, Cremation, Memorial, Resources
Leave a comment

After Orson Welles and Herman Mankiewicz shared the Best Original Screenplay Oscar for 1941’s Citizen Kane, the wunderkind Welles sent this letter to his collaborator: “Dear Mankie, Here’s what I wanted to wire you after the Academy Dinner: ‘You can kiss my half.’ I dare to send it through the mails only now that I find it […]

Continue Reading

Even Experts Can Be Fooled By Silent Heart Attacks

Posted on January 21st, 2021
Posted by Martin Oaks under Community, Hello world, Resources
Leave a comment

Bill Schaffer, a retired Emergency Medical Technician, did not recognize the symptoms of his heart problems.  The stabbing pain in his back was something Schaffer thought a chiropractor could address.  The indigestion was just part of being 57 years old.   Then, one weekend, reality hit like a lightning strike: “I started feeling funny prior to […]

Continue Reading

When Riddle and Ronstadt Made Beautiful Music Together

Posted on January 13th, 2021
Posted by Martin Oaks under Community, Cremation, Memorial, Resources
Leave a comment

“Who is Linda Ronstadt?” That was the question Grammy/Oscar/Emmy winning arranger Nelson Riddle asked when he hung up the phone after a conversation with Peter Asher, Ronstadt’s manager. It was May of 1982 and Riddle was no longer at the top of his game:  his best years, those times when he and Frank Sinatra were recording […]

Continue Reading

Why we wanted Christmas to come earlier this year

Posted on January 7th, 2021
Posted by Martin Oaks under Community, Hello world
Leave a comment

The Halls certainly got decked early this past Christmas. According to retail reports, outdoor lighting displays began brisk sales as early as August of 2020 — these sales usually take off closer to Thanksgiving. The Washington Post reported that the Virginia Christmas Lighting and Decor Company, which offers home decorating services, began hanging lights in September, well […]

Continue Reading

Helping Children Understand COVID and Death

Posted on December 30th, 2020
Posted by Martin Oaks under Community, Cremation, Hello world, Resources
Leave a comment

2020 was truly the year of living dangerously. In the United States, when the final numbers are in, more than 3,000,000 will have died. Although Covid-19 claimed more than 300,000 of those lives in this country, it was not the only culprit.  Deaths were up in many categories, including coronary heart disease, diabetes, and high […]

Continue Reading